Teeth Whitening Sensitivity -Instructions
In recent years, the teeth whitening products have become extremely popular because of their reduced cost and the relative ease of use when compared to dental treatments such as cosmetic dentistry. But, some of the teeth whitening products can cause sensitivity of the tooth in some individuals. Teeth whitening sensitivity is caused by the chemical reaction between the tooth enamel and ingredients used in the over-the-counter product.
- Consult your dentist before using any of the teeth whitening products. They will be able to tell you the ways to treat tooth sensitivity while using teeth whitening products. Many dentists recommend the usage of the in-office desensitizer. It is a paste which can be applied directly on the teeth in one single visit. Many of the in-office desensitizers offer relief for months or years from tooth sensitivity.
- Use any one of these over-the-counter products for tooth desensitizers, which come in either gel or toothpaste or rinse form. These over-the-counter desensitizers use mild anesthetics which dull the tooth enamel sensitivity after the use of whitening products. There are many established toothpaste brands like Colgate, Sensodyne and Crest., which offer formulas that are designed to treat tooth sensitivity.
- While you use teeth whitening products switch to a soft bristled toothbrush in order to treat sensitivity of the tooth. A soft bristled toothbrush not only helps to reduce or prevent the wear and tear of the tooth enamel, but it also is gentler on the gums.
- One should brush their teeth and rinse their mouth with lukewarm water after the teeth whitening process in order to prevent the pain which may accompany the teeth which have undergone the process.
Avoid using too cold or too hot water, as it may easily trigger the pain.
- Consult your dentist and ask about fluoride applications which can reduce discomfort and strengthen your teeth’s outer enamel. Ensure that you use the mouthwash or toothpaste containing fluoride, which is necessary for extra protection.
These are a few instructions one needs to follow to treat teeth whitening sensitivity.