TMJ Pain – Symptoms of TMj Pain, Solutions
TMJ pain or temporomandibular pain is pain in the joint caused due to inflammation in the temporomandibular joint. There are 2 TMJ joints, each on either sides. As the joint swells, muscles and the disc get displaced. They are pulled forward. This presses on sensitive nerves that result in systemic pain throughout the body. In this article, we shall know the symptoms of TMJ pain and its solutions.
Symptoms of TMJ pain:
TMJ pain is felt as aching feeling at or nearby the jaw bones. This also includes the ear. Some of the possible symptoms of pain are:
- Vision problems
- Ear pain
- Ringing in the ears
- Migraine or chronic headaches
- Pain in the neck and shoulders
- Stiffness in jaw muscles
- Locking of the jaw or limited movement of the jaw
- A change in the alignment of the teeth
- Painful clicking of the jaw when in use
- Grating or popping in the jaw
If these symptoms are present then the person is suffering from some degree of jaw pain. Since TMJ pain is seen in multiple health cases, it needs to be diagnosed properly to get cured properly. The condition is diagnosed by complete examination of the jaw.
Solutions for TMJ pain:
TMJ pain is dealt with dentists and physicians. It can range from simple pain to complex medical condition. Here are a few solutions recommended for TMJ pain
- Rest the jaw as much as possible (Of course! it is not that easy to do).
- Eat soft foods to reduce stress on the temporomandibular joint at least temperarily.
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medications should be taken under guidance of health care professional.
- Combination therapy is also taken up as treatment.
- Aqualizer oral splint has come up in recent times. It has shown tremendous promising results while treating TMJ pain.