What are the Causes for Mouth Ulcers in Children?
Mouth ulcers are very common among adults but, according to a recent survey conducted by American Dental Association, children with ulcer problems are almost double compared to adult. If the mouth ulcers are not prevented, there are maximum chances for these kids to become unhealthy individuals.
Causes of Mouth Ulcers in Children
- Hormonal changes are one of the major causes for mouth ulcers in children
- Trauma caused by harsh brushing and using of toothpastes that are high in Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
- Excessive intake of salty food. The salt left out on the gums and in the tooth corners can create pores leading to ulcers
- Usually kids tend to keep anything into there mouth, especially chewing sharp food or using sharp cutlery can cause physical damage. These damages are the start points for the formation of ulcers
- Anxiety and Stress are two major culprits in the formation of mouth ulcers in children
- Children are more prone to ulcers, if there parents are having the problem, so family history plays an important role
- Vitamin B12 and Iron deficiency can cause ulcers in children.
- Other Diseases like celiac disease, reiter’s syndrome and crohn’s disease can cause mouth ulcers among children
Prevention for Mouth Ulcers in Children
- Proper brushing is very important, use a toothpaste with less percentage of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Flossing can be done at least once before going to bed
- Reduce harsh brushing using a soft bristle toothbrush
- Well balanced healthy food is a must for children to have a healthy future
- Get rid off stress by playing games or by practising an art
- Advice the children not to chew harp items
- Vitamin and mineral supplements can be used for quick recovery
Treatment for Mouth Ulcers in Children
- Pain killers can be used to reduce the pain
- Depending on the severity and the cause your dentist will give treatment